This is Life in (Techni)Color

Waiting for the show to begin

My trip to Tuacahn to watch David’s debut in his first ever musical starring as Joseph in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat can be summarized in one word: uplifting.

When David revealed back in late October last year that he is “taking a step into new territory,” there was no question that this is a must-watch. Especially for an OG fan, it is amazing to see David evolve as an artist and as a person throughout his career since his Idol days. Especially after the past couple of years with the pandemic, a cancelled tour, vocal cord surgery, coming out, and everything else in between, this brave venture into something new felt like spring after a long winter. And here he is, literally springing forth in all the brilliant colors of his amazing dreamcoat! So watching a David show? Check. Seeing him in a musical? Heck yeah. Traveling to Tuacahn in Utah to witness this? Count me in – where even is Tuacahn, I have no idea, but that can always be figured out later.😛

Watching the show for me was also supposed to be a way of celebration after a long year of challenges that 2021 brought to me. Going through 3 major surgeries in one year while away from family was the toughest thing. But among family, friends, and faith, one other thing that never fails to give me that lift during tough times is David and his music. 2022 was/is going to be a year of healing for me, I said. And seeing him in Tuacahn for a musical was/is part of that.

To Joseph or Not To Joseph

Sold (into Egypt :P)!




I was supposed to go with my sister who’s back in the Philippines and do this whole road trip to Utah. Plans became shaky as family matters began to unfold. I decided to book a trip home to the Philippines in mid-August but also bought tickets to an early August Joseph show before my trip home, thinking that it will be a tough month and I will need the happy vibes before I face that. 

I was going to meet with many of my fan friends whom I haven’t seen since the 2019 Christmas tour, including Joanie and Mary Lou! And I was very excited to have grabbed very good seats for that one show as they are selling like hotcakes (no surprise there though)! Turns out I had to sell them out again, unfortunately. I’ve been saying was/supposed to be this and that, because many are the plans in man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.

I had to travel home earlier than intended as my mother was rushed to the hospital. Ultimately, David’s pre-show on July 16th was also the day that she passed away. It is heartbreaking, to say the least. Going through surgeries was nothing compared to the pain of losing a parent.

Seeing Joseph wasn’t even in the equation anymore, but a couple of dear friends encouraged me to think it through for when I get back to the US. More than the show, a trip to Tuacahn, as many have already described, is going to be uplifting, rejuvenating – one just really must experience the magic of Tuacahn! Ivins, Utah really is not near anywhere at all, and exactly because of that it is the perfect place to reconnect with yourself and with nature. It being a desert will bring you awe and inspiration in how life adapts and yes, thrives even in such an extreme environment.

Go, Go, Go

In-N-Out of St George
I got tickets before I looked at where exactly Tuacahn was and I was like….how do you even GO there? But GO, GO, GO I did, and right at the beginning of David’s last week as Joseph, I flew into St George. The show being the next day, and flying out again the day after that, I literally was just in and out of Utah. So what better way to start the trip than to go for lunch at In-N-Out (this is not a paid advertisement :P)?

The night before the trip, I had this sudden idea to do something creative to celebrate this achievement of David in his role as Joseph: an ambitious technicolor ambigram brought to life with the colored pencils that came with the Mystery Box in DA Extra Sessions back in 2020. Who knew they would be perfect for such an occasion! I couldn’t finish it before I left though, and this mini project occupied my time in St George as I waited out the heat – because boy, was it hot there!

The next day was show day. But before that, I wanted to beat the heat and got up just before sunrise to explore the rust red landscape of Southern Utah and downtown St George. It truly was an immersive experience, and you just have to soak it all in. Words and pictures can’t even describe it. I want to mention that more than once during my little adventure did David’s name come up from strangers – Uber drivers, tour guides – the moment I mention I came in town to watch a show at Tuacahn. He’s certainly popular there and bringing in the tourism!

Up before sunrise

Pioneer Park Arch and an OG (Pioneer) Archie in the park

The Narrows

David as Joseph

David A as Joseph
So fast forward to show time! I finished my little ambigram project which caused me to be a little late to my meeting time with Kelley (so sorry!). I also last saw her during Christmas tour 2019, so I was so excited when I learned that she’s seeing the show on the same date as I! Driving up to our meeting spot at the Tuacahn Café, through the long road leading up to the amphitheater and facing the red cliffs, I was giddy with excitement. After so many back and forths and plans made and cancelled and wondering if it's actually still possible for me to be there…and then actually BEING THERE. Just, no words.

Unlike many of the fans or the audience perhaps, I have no previous exposure to Joseph, the musical comedy by Andrew Lloyd Weber and Tim Rice. The Bible story I know of, of course, and I have vivid recollections of reading a children’s picture storybook about Joseph the dreamer with his brothers and his coat of many colors. So I know the main storyline but do not know any of the songs or the comedic twists added in the original musical adaptation. With no point of comparison, it was a whole new experience for me overall, which just made it all the more special to me.

Kelley and I at Tuacahn. We HERE, fam!

My seat for this show was not as “good” as my original tickets for the earlier show, in that it was not exactly near the stage. But looking back, it was actually the perfect vantage point for witnessing the grandness of the staging and production. Just wow! Fireworks and pyrotechnics, an actual limousine, a camel, ponies! And the gigantic digital backdrop – though unfortunately it had glitches that night – was all just so incredibly thought out. But even more amazing is the incredible acting and dancing and shifting brilliant scene after scene by the cast and crew. I was particularly mesmerized by the aerial dance by Potiphar’s wife. The talent and skill of everyone was just topnotch.

Me in my mom's amazing technicolor blouse
And David, oh David. I was asked if I was surprised at how natural he was in being funny, angry, despairing, joyful, loving, all the emotions! And to be honest I can’t say I’m surprised that he just nailed it all. We did see a glimpse of his acting in Nandito Ako after all, but oh my Josh that was already a decade ago!! So I am very happy that he accepted this role and had another avenue to showcase this side of him again. He was just really in his element in this one, no doubt about it. And the DA twists in the production - concert David and TikTok David and all the David-isms - were all a delight to see! He sold the role (not into slavery), and the parallelisms between him and the character he portrays made it all the more palpable: David A is Joseph!

The story of Joseph also just really resonated with me, with how difficult it was for him to be so long and far away from his family. Of his joy of finally being reunited with them. Of God using even the bleakest of present circumstances, even through grief and despair, to do future good. That his plans are always better than anything we have ever thought of – even when we do not understand it at the time.

So it was a very colorful, emotional, uplifting, amazing night. I wanted to make it a little more special by having a piece of my mom with me, and so I actually attended the show donned in her amazing technicolor blouse. The month I was home and we were sorting through her things, I spotted it and just immediately thought it was what I was going to wear to Joseph if/when I do get to go. And I did. So I did. She was with me that night.

I am so grateful to have made this trip, for Joanie and Mary Lou for being “there” with me in this adventure, to David of course, and Kari and her mom for being a major influence for this Joseph role, to Team Archie, to the Tuacahn for the whole amazing production!

There's one more angel in Heaven

There's one more star in the sky

[Joseph], we'll never forget you

It's tough, but we're gonna get by

There's one less place at our table

There's one more tear in my eye

 

But, [Joseph], the things that you stood for

Like truth and light never die

Comments

Popular Posts